Written by Sierra Bullets Ballistic Technician Philip Mahin
The wife was actually willing to share her chili recipe with me after an interest was shown for it, so here we go.
1 lb. deer burger (you could chunk up steaks or a shoulder if you didn’t have it in burger form)
1 – 1.25 oz packet chili seasoning mix (she uses McCormick, but take your pick)
2 cans chili beans
2 – 8 oz cans tomato sauce
2 cloves diced garlic
2 green onions diced or about ¼ cup white onion diced (or both if you prefer)
1/3 cup grape jelly (I’ve seen her use 2 large tablespoons full before if this helps)
Shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the deer meat until browned.
- Add beans, tomato sauce, seasoning packet, garlic and onions. Mix well.
- Add grape jelly once chili has started to simmer.
- Simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure all the jelly melts.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top.
This will feed 3-4 adults and you can cook it in the same pan you browned the meat in, if it is big enough. With this single pan cooking, it will work well on a camp site when the nights are still a little cool.
Till next time, hunt hard and eat well.